Call-out: Bardd Plant Cymru 2021-2023
Literature Wales is looking for the next Bardd Plant Cymru 2021-2023 to delight and inspire the children of Wales.
Bardd Plant Cymru is a national ambassadorial role that is awarded every two years to a Welsh-language poet.
The project was established in the year 2000, and since then sixteen poets have undertaken the role. All activities are conducted through the medium of Welsh, but the scheme provides for and engages with children whose first language is not Welsh.
Are you a poet who loves working with children? Do you believe in the power of literature to inspire, empower, improve, and brighten lives – especially the lives of young people? Do you dream of celebrating and representing Wales’ literary culture on a national and international stage? Then we want to hear from you!
Literature Wales is looking for the next Bardd Plant Cymru and is inviting applications from talented, passionate, and visionary individuals for this role. We are open to applications from people from a range of backgrounds and experiences, and who are at any stage of their career as writers and artists. We are looking for people who share our values of equality and representation, and who will advocate for children’s fundamental rights to be creative, to express themselves and, of course, to have fun with words.
The Bardd Plant Cymru project is run by Literature Wales with the support of Welsh Government, S4C, Books Council of Wales and Urdd Gobaith Cymru.
Please note: Bardd Plant Cymru is a Welsh-language role, and we welcome applications from both Welsh-language speakers and Welsh-language learners.
Key facts about the role
- We are looking for a Bardd Plant Cymru to start from 1 September 2021. The closing dates for applications is Friday 9 July 2021.
- The role is for two years, until the end of August 2023.
- The fee for the work is £6,000 per year, plus expenses, and will involve 24 days of activity per year This is equal to a rate of £250 per day.
- The work involves running workshops for children and young people, writing commissioned poems, and various other activities, both at schools and in other settings (such as festivals and youth clubs). There will likely be opportunities for further commissions, and invitations to head up national campaigns.
- Bardd Plant Cymru will engage with children across Wales and inspire them to be creative and to express themselves through poetry.
- Bardd Plant Cymru is a role awarded every two-years to a Wales-based writer who writes in the Welsh language.
- Bardd Plant Cymru is a Welsh-language project which works alongside its English-language sister project, Children’s Laureate Wales. The next Children’s Laureate Wales will also start their term in September 2021, and the role is also for two years.
- The current Bardd Plant Cymru is Gruffudd Owen, the sixteenth poet to undertake the role. All previous laureates can be found
How the project works
Literature Wales will work closely with Bardd Plant Cymru to devise and deliver a programme of activities for the two years. We are here to support and facilitate the role, and we very much want the selected laureate to make this their own project and have their own vision for it.
We actively welcome applications from writers at all stages of their literary careers. Those who are just starting out will be given a range of opportunities to develop their profile and will be able to thrive in this role. The role provides a platform to develop skills in delivering creative activity in participatory settings, as well as enhancing artistic and professional reputation.
Our Tactical Priorities will be at the forefront of our work in the next few years, as and such we strongly encourage applications from people who are under-represented in the literature sector, and from those who experience discrimination due to race, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, disability or age. We operate an anti-racist culture and are developing our Safeguarding and HR policies to include best practice processes when working with those who have suffered the trauma of discrimination and on addressing micro-aggressions in the workplace. We are dedicated to meeting access requirements; just let us know what you need.
Eligibility & Terms
Bardd Plant Cymru will:
- be willing and able to commit to at least 24 working days per year to work as Bardd Plant Cymru;
- be able to work with children and young people up to the age of 18;
- have some track record as a poet and/or spoken word artist; and
- be a confident and dynamic public speaker.
In addition to the core work programme, extra commissions, residencies, and opportunities may be presented to the post-holder during the term, by Literature Wales and partner organisations. Any such work would be contracted separately.
We welcome applications from disabled individuals; individuals from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds; LGBTQ+ individuals; and individuals from lower socio-economic backgrounds under the positive action rules of the Equality Act 2010.
How to apply
To apply, download one of the guidance documents below which has further information on the application process.
Closing Date: 5.00 pm, Friday 9 July 2021
For further information, download the guidance documents below or contact Literature Wales: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information about this call-out can be found below in PDF, Word and Large Print format. Should you require the information in a different accessible format, please contact Literature Wales: email@example.com