Literature Wales’ Writer Commissions #4
In March 2022 Literature Wales, in partnership with Natural Resources Wales, invited expressions of interest from writers and creative facilitators to devise and deliver a creative writing project which explored the connection between literature, well-being, and the natural environment.
We believe that literature has the power to improve and transform lives. We all know being in nature is good for our mental well-being and immersing ourselves in the great outdoors and writing about its wonders can also help us emotionally. As our concerns about the climate emergency and the pandemic grow, many of us have been enjoying our natural environment more than ever before.
Four awards of £4,000 each were made to projects which:
- provide innovative and new creative activity exploring literary activity in nature and in the local community supporting good mental health and well-being
- provide opportunities for early career writers and creative audiences to develop or learn new skills
- provide a tangible outcome that can be upscaled and shared as a blueprint for future projects in other areas of Wales
- work in partnership with a local (voluntary/third sector) organisation experienced in supporting people to enjoy their local natural environment and to set up long-term initiatives in the community
- entertain participants and audiences with exciting, entertaining, and engaging literary content
- use digital platforms and physically distanced face-to-face activity to bring creative audiences and communities together through literature
Further information about the successful projects and artists can be found below.