Little is known of the original dwelling at Ty Newydd, but considering its location at the heart of the old parish of Abercain it is easy to imaging quite a few buildings occupying the site. The first reference to Ty Newydd appears in the 16th century when it was owned by one Rowland Owen. Early in the 17th century it was owned by Humphrey Owen, possibly Rowland Owen's grandson. In 1622 the house is referred to as Plas Newydd yn Llanystumdwy reverting back to being called Ty Newydd in the Eifionydd Rent Records of 1631. A generation later the heir to Ty Newydd, Lowry Owen married Robert Ellis of Ynysgain Fawr. Ynysgain was retained as the main family dwelling, Ty Newydd being used later as a home for their eldest son.
By the end of the 17th century it was occupied by tenants. Around 1700 the ownership was transferred, by wedding to Thomas Williams, the former rector of Llanrwst, Llansannan and Denbigh.
The house was later ooccupied by William Williams (1746-1781), Thomas Williams' grandson. William was a wealthy man having accrued his fortune with the East India Company. It was this according to some paid for the present Georgian range that comprises the main part of today's house. But the style of architecture suggests that it was carried out between 1755 and 1760 at a time when William would have been only 15 years old. It is more likely that his father, Robert Williams was reponsible for the changes. Little is known about Robert Williams but the grandness of the house was consistent at the time with the dwelling of such a wealthy and well respected man. In 1783 following the death of William Williams' daughter and heir, Williams Williams' wife sold the house to John Goodman of Porthamel, Anglesey.
When Edmund Hyde Hall visited Ty Newydd in 1809/10 it was occupied by tenants and he noted that the house was 'much out of repair'. In 1856 the house was sold once again, this time to the Jones' of the Broom Hall Estate.