Established in 2011 as one of the Arts Council of Wales’ National Companies, Literature Wales’ role is to facilitate and stimulate literature programmes and events throughout Wales, and promote the best of our literatures internationally. We also develop and support the writers of Wales at every stage of their literary journey.
Since 2011, Literature Wales has:
- engaged over 700,000 participants, including 255,000 young people in literature activities across Wales
- awarded 140 Writers’ Bursaries, 57 of these to new writers. Many of these recipients have gone on to achieve success and to win major prizes for work written with the support of the bursaries, including Jonathan Edwards (Costa Poetry Award Winner 2014), and Kate Hamer (shortlisted for the Costa First Novel Award 2015). Total Bursaries awarded to date: £481,000
- expanded its work with children and young people, by creating the new Young People’s Laureate role and strengthening links with other projects in Wales, such as Bardd Plant Cymru, as well as bringing the popular American Poetry Slam model to Wales
- broadened the reach of the South Wales Literature Development Initiative, working with various partners including Mind, Gwent Arts in Health, National Literacy Trust, Swansea Bay Asylum Seeker Support Group, as well as Local Authorities
- led on major centenary celebrations, for instance, Dylan Thomas 100 Festival, R S Thomas and Roald Dahl 100 Wales, delivering major literary tourism, engagement and education projects on behalf of Welsh Government and with the support of the Arts Council of Wales
- redeveloped Tŷ Newydd Writing Centre, with support from Arts Council of Wales, Ashley Family Foundation and The Welsh Academy
- created new digital project, Her 100 Cerdd, to celebrate National Poetry Day. The online challenge for four poets to write 100 poems in 24 hours, annually attracts 10,000 views and over 2,500 individual readers
- In summer 2016 Philip Pullman was announced as the Patron of Literature Wales.
Literature Wales is a Company Limited by Guarantee and registered Charity. It is managed by a Board of eleven Directors, who are also Trustees.